African Forum for Agricultural Advisory Services (AFAAS) is a Continental body that brings National Agricultural Extension and Advisory Services (AEAS) providers in Africa under one umbrella. The African Forum for Agricultural Advisory Services (AFAAS) has received grant funding towards the BIO4AFRICA Project based on REGULATION (EU) No 1290/2013 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 11 December 2013 laying down the rules for the participation and dissemination in “Horizon 2020 – the Framework Programme for Research and Innovation (2014-2020)”. For the implementation of project activities, AFAAS will conduct procurements for goods, consulting and non-consulting services, in accordance with the AFAAS Procurement procedures and in line with the IFAD Procurement Handbook and Guidelines.
As one of the major delivery pathways for innovation and impact in AEAS; AFAAS together with 25 partner organizations are implementing the European Research Executive Agency (EREA) funded project; ‘Diversifying revenue in rural Africa through circular, sustainable and replicable biobased solutions and business models’’ (BIO4Africa). The project is in the context that; African agri-food systems need to become: more resilient to economic and environmental risks, more sustainable to conserve, restore and enhance the biodiversity and natural resources that constitute an essential heritage for the rural communities that live off them.
The BIO4Africa project-specific objectives include: i) Adapt and transfer tailored bio-based solutions, according to the specific needs of each one of our rural communities; ii) Develop the bio-based technologies and produce solutions that can be safely operated and maintained at farm, village or rural community level; iii) Ensure the bio-based solutions are operated and tested in diverse real productive conditions and integrated across rural Africa; iv) Develop sustainable business models, while providing business support services and tools to facilitate their adoption and replication in rural African areas; v) Assess and validate the sustainability of the project’s bio-based solutions and business models, along with the marketability of their products; and vi) Engage in solid multi-actor collaboration, cluster with relevant initiatives and deliver evidence-based policy recommendations to drive replication and deployment in other areas.
Therefore, AFAAS secretariat is soliciting services of a Project coordinator to deal with the Technical and Operational issues, including providing technical input and guidance to all Work Packages in the BIO3AFRICA Project while aligning with the AFAAS strategic objectives.
- OBJECTIVE OF THE CONSULTANCY:
The Project Coordinator will provide technical and coordination support to the Project at AFAAS Secretariat. He/she will ensure successful implementation of the project. The Consultant will be supervised by the Project Manager and work in liaison with the Project teams.
- DURATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
The assignment shall initially be for a period of six months (6 months) effective July up to 31 December 2021; renewable based on need, satisfactory performance, and availability of funding.
- QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE:
The following qualifications and competencies are required;
- A minimum of a BSc Degree Agricultural Sciences, Agricultural Economics/Extension, Environmental Sciences, Rural Development, Sociology or any relevant qualification in business development field; Master’s Degree is desirable.
- Experience in providing communities with diverse options for taking up bio-based techs using sustainable business models; deployment of participatory activities to co-design, test, and validate models alongside farmers; developing business plans
- Ability to contextualize and operationalize ideas, models, and frameworks.
- Familiarity with the innovation systems and the global paradigms in extension and advisory services
- Good knowledge of AFAAS and its structures like Country and Regional Fora will be added advantage.
- Good understanding of AUC – DREA and CAADP processes, FARA and SROs.
- A track record of writing reports evidenced by publication record, such as study reports, policy briefs, books, chapters in books, conference papers and journal articles.
- Ability to provide accurate, high quality analysis and documents under pressure.
- Knowledge of EU initiatives especially on the Development of Smart Innovation through Research in Agriculture (DeSIRA), Horizon 2020
Interested individual consultants must provide information verifying that they are qualified to perform the services and meet the minimum required experience criteria above. The Consultant shall be required to submit the EOI and the detailed Curriculum Vitae together with the names, addresses, e-mail addresses, telephone and fax numbers of referees must be delivered to the address below not later than July 21, 2021, at 10:30 a.m. at the address below or electronically on email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Consultant will be selected based on the “Consultants Qualification Selection (CQS)” procurement method in the AFAAS Procurement Procedures and IFAD Procurement Handbook (approved in September 2010). Interested individual consultants may obtain detailed information from Max Olupot on email: email@example.com from 08:00 – 17:00 (local time) latest July 12, 2021.
Dr. Silim M. Nahdy
Executive Director, AFAAS,
Kigobe Road; House No. 26; Minister’s Village;
P.O BOX 34624 Kampala, Uganda
Deadline Click here:
Call For Experssion