African Forum for Agricultural Advisory Services (AFAAS) is a Continental body that brings National Agricultural Extension and Advisory Services (AEAS) providers in Africa under one umbrella. The AFAAS has received grant funding from the European Union managed by the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) under Grant Number: 2000002981 towards the implementation of the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme ex-pillar IV (CAADP XP4) organisations under the initiative “Development Smart Innovation through Research in Agriculture (DeSIRA)” Project. For the implementation of project activities, AFAAS will conduct procurements for goods, consulting and non-consulting services, in accordance with the IFAD Procurement Handbook and IFAD Procurement Guidelines.
AFAAS has predominantly relied on grants for funding its activities. Since inception, it has not attracted sufficient funds to implement its strategic plan and wishes to explore in order to deepen and diversify its funding base as well as making the funding more sustainable. AFAAS will continue to respond to dynamic grant-funding opportunities that may arise in donor funding agencies.
In order to ensure adequate funding is obtained; the AFAAS is seeking to establish a long-term arrangement with atleast four (4) funding proposal writing consultants to work on specific proposals over the period 2022-2025. Proposals shall be from various donors and will vary in size, scope, complexity and duration. The consultants may also be required to facilitate consortium building and or local stakeholder involvement, as necessary.
- Objectives of the Consultancy:
- To support resource mobilisation through proactively or reactively writing project proposals aligned with the current AFAAS strategy, operational plan and programmes taking into consideration AFAAS’ desire to be an integral member of the CAADP-XP4 institutions;
- To support AFAAS Secretariat in applying to the call for proposals individually and or with other consortium partners.
- Duration of the Assignment
The assignment shall be dependent on the specific terms of references, specific deliverables and a specific timeline as shall be developed for each project (Proposal). However, each proposal writing assignment is likely to last for a maximum of 10 days, negotiable (to be finally concluded after having received the consultant’s budget and offer). AFAAS shall pay a negotiated professional fee based on agreed day rate for each project.
- Qualification, Experience and Competences
The Consultant is expected to have the following professional qualifications and sets of competencies:
- A Minimum of a Master’s Degree in Agriculture, Veterinary Medicine, Development Studies, Business Management, Resource Mobilisation, Finance, International relations Inclusive Governance, Gender, climate change adaptation or other related fields.
- At least 6 years’ relevant experience in Resource Mobilisation, Project Design, and effective Proposal Writing, Fundraising, Financial Management and practices and/or management of agricultural innovation or climate change adaptation programmes, preferably in Africa;
- Demonstrated experience working on proposals for institutional donors (e.g. USAID, IFAD, WORLD BANK, DFID, GIZ, DEVCO, ECHO, DFAT, GAC, etc)
- Strong programme conceptualization and design skills, including capacity to prepare logical, coherent, and consistent documents including logical frameworks and budgets;
- Ability to work efficiently, effectively, collaboratively and remotely with multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional and multi-cultural teams in writing proposals and reports;
- Proven experience in project concept/proposal writing, with traceable evidence of writing winning proposals to traditional & private donors, foundations and government donors;
- Ability to integrate different experiences, methodologies, and approaches from a diverse range of stakeholders, organisations, and technical experts from multiple sectors;
- Previous experience leading teams in the preparation of successful funding proposals for organisations on the African continent;
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to communicate complex technical ideas in a clear and compelling way, responsive to priorities, interests and strategy of a particular donor;
- Ability to synthesize inputs from multiple sources into one cohesive document with unified voice;
- A talent for writing concisely and conceptualizing ideas for graphics that convey key information;
- Demonstrated competence in proposal and report writing;
- Strong track record in the successful design and delivery of multi-stakeholder project design and proposal writing training
- Experience in design and delivering of virtual/online training.
Interested consultants are expected submit a brief technical proposal describing the proposed methodology detailing how the deliverables will be achieved; Personal CV indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details – email and telephone and atleast three professional referees and afinancial offer with the proposed daily rate. Expressions of interest must be delivered to the address below not later than 14th April, 2023, at 11:00 a.m. at the address below or electronically on email: email@example.com.
The Consultant shall be selected based on the “Consultants Qualification Selection (CQS)” procurement method by IFAD Procurement Handbook (approved in September, 2010). Interested individuals may obtain detailed information on the assignment at the address below from 08:00 – 17:00 (local time) latest March 30, 2023.
Dr. Silim M. Nahdy
Executive Director, AFAAS,
Kigobe Road; House No. 26; Minister’s Village;
P.O BOX 34624 Kampala, Uganda
Deadline: March 30, 2023