African Forum for Agricultural Advisory Services (AFAAS) is a Continental body that brings National Agricultural Extension and Advisory Services (AEAS) providers in Africa under one umbrella. The AFAAS has received grant funding from the European Union managed by the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) under Grant Number: 2000002981 towards the implementation of the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme ex-pillar IV (CAADP XP4) organizations under the initiative “Development Smart Innovation through Research in Agriculture (DeSIRA)” Project. For the implementation of project activities, AFAAS will conduct procurements for goods, consulting and non-consulting services, in accordance with the IFAD Procurement Handbook and IFAD Procurement Guidelines.
AFAAS is implementing its second Strategy (2018-2027) with a number of projects being implemented that include: The CAADP-XP4 Project, Strengthening innovation support services to enhance Innovations (SERVInnov), the Postharvest Management project; ( i) Delivering Extension Services to the Last-Mile (LMP) (ii) The Agricultural Massive Open Online Courses (AgMOOCs) project (iii) Strengthening innovation support Services to enhance Innovations (SERVInnov) (iv) Synergistic use and protection of natural resources for rural livelihoods through systematic Integration of crops, shrubs and livestock in the Sahel (Sustain Sahel); (v) Improving Rural Livelihoods through Bio Based tech and circular value chains in Africa (Bio4Africa) (vi) Integration of Nutrition into Extension and Advisory Services (vii) Strengthening Field School interventions in the framework of IFI investments programs in Eastern Africa (viii) and The Digital Connectors for farming communities, (ix). This AFAAS Strategy (2018-2027) is at its mid-term of its implementation, and due for review, and yet climate relevant issues are not well mainstreamed in the strategy.
Therefore, AFAAS is seeking services of a firm to undertake a mid-term evaluation of its Strategy with a lens to climate change mitigation, resilience and adaptation. Based on the findings shall review the Strategy mainstreaming climate relevant issues and developing the AFAAS operational plan (2023-2027).
- Objectives of the Consultancy:
The main objective of this assignment is to conduct a rigorous evaluation of the mid-term performance of AFAAS Strategy (2018-2027), review the AFAAS strategy & Operational plan (2018-2022) for improvement and develop a new MTOP (2023-2027).
The specific objectives are to:
- Measure the level of performance the AFAAS implemented projects against the AFAAS Strategy (2018-2027) and Operational Plan (2018-2022).
- Assess the extent to which Climate Relevant issues are integrated in the AFAAS Strategy, and identify the key gaps.
- Review of the AFAAS Strategy (2018-2027) and develop the AFAAS Operational Plan (2023-2027) with a focus to mainstreaming climate relevant issues.
- Duration of the Assignment
The assignment is expected to last a maximum of 40 working days, spread in the months of October 2022 to April 2023.
- Qualification, Experience and Competences
- The firm shall demonstrate the following experience and competences to execute the evaluation successfully and shall form the basis for selection.
- Minimum experience of 10 years in designing and undertaking evaluations and/ Impact studies of development interventions for reputable organizations with a focus to Agricultural Development.
- Officially registered organization (commercial, non-profit, nongovernmental, public)
- Demonstrated experience in reviewing Strategic Plans and Operational plans for reputable organizations in Agricultural Development.
- The firm’s consultants shall be required to have the following experience, qualifications and competences to execute the mission successfully.
- At least two (2) key staff with qualifications and experience in Monitoring and Evaluation and Data analysis.
- The team leader should possess a minimum of a master’s degree in Agricultural Sciences, Economics, Statistics, Development Studies and Social Sciences and other related fields with a bias in Research and Evaluation.
- Demonstrated experience in designing automated data collection tools for collection of real time evaluation data.
- Practical skills and experience in analysing qualitative data using analytical packages such as Nvivo or Atlas Ti and quantitative data using SPSS or Stata
- Knowledge of emerging trends and paradigms in Agricultural Extension and Advisory Services;
- Evidence of publications of journal papers by the evaluation;
Interested firms shall be required to submit a technical and financial proposal together with updated CVs for each of the team members. The Expressions of interest must be delivered to the address below not later than September 26, 2022, at 10:00 a.m. at the address below or electronically on email: email@example.com.
The Consultant will be selected based on the “Consultants Qualification Selection (CQS)” procurement method by IFAD Procurement Handbook (approved in September, 2010). Interested individuals may obtain detailed information on the assignment at the address below from 08:00 – 17:00 (local time) latest September 13, 2022.
Dr. Silim M. Nahdy
Executive Director, AFAAS,
Kigobe Road; House No. 26; Minister’s Village;
P.O BOX 34624 Kampala, Uganda
Copying firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
Further information may be obtained from AFAAS procurement Unit: email: firstname.lastname@example.org. or Programmes; Email: email@example.com;
AFAAS Affirmative Action Statement on Employment: there is no discrimination based on gender race, religion, ethnic orientation, disability or health status.
Call For Expression
Terms of reference